Tue, Jul 27|
DCABP INC PRESENTS: Let's Talk About Civics!
Please join DCABP INC. in collaboration with the Durham Committee on the Affairs of Black People for this month's Unifying Community Voices Initiative series session to discuss the Civic duties and needs of Black Communities in Durham.
Time & Location
Jul 27, 2021, 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM EDT
About the Event
This forum will explore the historical and systematically oppressive ways that Civics has affected black people. Our esteemed panel of experts will offer perspectives on the strategic forms of racism that civic structures have created to suppress black people. Our experts will explore how we restructure the ways that black people are viewed as citizens and valued members of society with a focus on:
- The History of Civics
- How Systemic Racism has Hindered Black Communities from fully exercising their Civic Power
- How Civic Education can Empower Current and Future Generations to Inspire Lasting Change.
Moderator: Attorney Dawn Baxton, Durham County Chief Public Defender
- Professor Irv Joyner, North Carolina Central University
- Associate Supreme Court Justice Anita Earls
- Attorney Karen Bethea-Shields
- Attorney Timothy Lovelace, Duke University
This is a hybrid event. This ticket gives you access to the Zoom meeting room during the event.